Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sweet Six Interview with Brigid Kemmerer!

Happy Tuesday! There's more excitement in the world of the YA Valentines! In fact, the news was so fabulous that each of our email inboxes exploded last night! (Many whoops, hollers, and exclamation points were exchanged!) 

You're curious?

Tune in next Tuesday for an announcement...  *smiles sweetly* Yes, you have to wait.


I now bring you a Sweet Six interview with the incredibly talented Brigid Kemmerer! She's a fellow Marylander and YA author, whom I had the pleasure of meeting during Read Across America this past March. Spirit, the third installment in The Elemental Series, released in May! 






1) Tell us about your book!

I write The Elemental Series for Kensington Books, about four brothers who control the elements of earth, air, fire, and water, and their battle with those who want them dead. While the stories are paranormal on the surface, they're really about family and brotherhood and growing up. 



2) What scene in your book do you LOVE the most?

Michael Merrick is the oldest brother, and at twenty-three, he's been raising his younger brothers for five years, since his parents' death during his senior year of high school. He's bitter, and jaded, and exhausted from working all the time. Throughout much of Storm, he's surly and snappish. But there's a scene where he's been hurt, and he goes to the home of his youngest brother's girlfriend, and her mom starts patching him up. He's eating pancakes, and he basically says, "I forgot what it was like to have a mother." It's one of the first times in the book where Michael shows his vulnerability, and I loved writing it. 


3) If you had to pick a character you LOVE (and not your own!), who would you pick and why?

I just finished reading Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg, and Rafe, the main character, was probably one of the best written YA boys I've read in a long, long time. I loved it. 


4) What's the craziest/most memorable valentine you've ever received?

I don't know that I've ever received a Valentine. But the most memorable Valentine's Day was this one year when I didn't have a boyfriend, so I went to the bookstore. I was sitting in the cafe reading, and this guy came up and asked if he could join me. We started talking books and hit it off immediately. I started thinking, "OMG, this is going to be the cutest how-we-met story EVER. We met in a bookstore on Valentine's Day, because we were both single and lonely. This is SO AMAZING." And just as I was completing that thought, he finished his coffee and said, "Well, it was nice meeting you." And he walked out.

(Don't worry. I later met my amazing husband.) 


5) If you were a Brach's Heart, what phrase would be written on you?

I ... have no idea. BAMF? :-P

(Note: I asked Brigid if BAMF meant what I thought it meant... it sure does!)




6) The all-important choice: flowers or candy?

Candy! Come on. No contest. 



I completely agree! Brigid, thank you so much for swinging by!


You can visit Brigid online via her website, Goodreads, Amazon, or Twitter!


10 comments:

  1. BAMF! You go, girl! And love that favorite scene. Thanks for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bethany...she has no idea what BAMF stands for. (She has one idea, but doubts sweet Brigid is as dirty minded as she is)

    These books sound fantastic!! I love tortured boys...er, well, you know what I mean :)
    Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can write what it stands for here... texting you now, haha!

      Delete
  3. Totally blond here...and clueless. #BAMF

    But I <333 the sound of The Elemental Series! Woohoo! Thank you so much for hanging out with us. Best of luck with SPIRIT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... maybe I'll post in our secret hideout aka the FB group page

      Delete
  4. That met-the-guy-in-the-bookstore story is both sweet and sad. How dare a guy mess with your emotions on Valentine's Day??

    This series sounds SO GOOD. I've heard people rave about it all over the place, and cannot wait to dive in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, Sara!! And I agree, that bookstore story is just wrong. I hope that guy tripped down the steps or got hit by the door on his way out...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by! I loved the sound of this series, too--and that scene sounds very powerful. Good luck with SPIRIT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series sounds like one I would love. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete