Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sweet Six Interview with VERONICA ROSSI!!

Today for our Sweet Six interview, I was lucky enough to get New York Times Bestseller, VERONICA ROSSI to answer our questions.

Veronica's books are absolutely amazing--if you haven't picked up UNDER THE NEVER SKY or THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT yet, you'd better get on it. Like, RIGHT NOW. Well, okay, you can wait until you read the interview first. And maybe enter our contest from friday (who doesn't like free books?). But THEN. Go forth and read her books. And come thank me later. ;-)

Okay, so, here's a little info about Veronica:

Veronica Rossi is the author of post-apocalyptic fiction for young adults. Her debut novel, UNDER THE NEVER SKY, is the first in a trilogy. Released in January 2012, it was deemed one of the Best Books of Year by School Library Journal. The second book in the trilogy, THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT, debuted in January on the NY Times and USA Today Best Seller Lists. The final book in the series, INTO THE STILL BLUE, is expected to release January 2014.

Foreign rights to the UNDER THE NEVER SKY trilogy have sold in over twenty-five territories to date and film rights have been optioned by Warner Bros.

She completed undergraduate studies at UCLA and then went on to study fine art at the California College of the Arts in San Francisco. She lives in Northern California with her husband and two sons. When not writing, she enjoys reading, painting, and counting down the minutes until she can get back to making up stories about imaginary people. 

Her work is represented by Josh Adams of Adams Literary.

And she's gorgeous, too! 

Veronica is one of the nicest, most genuine people I've had the pleasure of getting to know in this business. (And we're agent sisters!) And look at these gorgeous covers for her books:





Ah, Perry.... sighs... *shakes self* Wait. What was I doing? Oh, right. The interview. *ahem*

Here are her answers to our Sweet Six interview questions:

1) Tell us about your book!

I'm finishing up the UNDER THE NEVER SKY trilogy. Books one and two, UNDER THE NEVER SKY and THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT, are available. The final book, INTO THE STILL BLUE, will be published early 2014.

The series follows Aria, who comes from an advanced society that lives in domed cities, and Peregrine, who lives in the harsh, external world in an almost primitive existence. It's a coming-of-age story, a love story between the two leads, as well as a story about their societies, and which will triumph as the world rapidly deteriorates toward a apocalypse. Lately I've been calling it the Amazing Race between two societies, with the prize being that they get to live.

2) What scene in your book do you LOVE the most?

I've loved writing many scenes, but one of my favorites is the first time Aria and Peregrine kiss, in book one. Not gonna lie: that was fun to write.

3) If you had to pick a character you LOVE (and not your own!), who would you pick and why?

Hmm. Lyra Belacqua from Phillip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy. Just popped in my mind, but I love--LOVED--that character. Also, Katsa from GRACELING. For male characters, I really loved Travis from Trish Doller's SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL, and Jace from Swati Avashti's SPLIT. Now I want to reread all of those books!

4) What's the craziest/most memorable valentine you've ever received?

I once received a beautiful rose made of paper from someone unexpectedly. It wasn't crazy, but it was very memorable and thoughtful.

5) If you were a Brach's Heart, what phrase would be written on you?

Love
Life

Or, alternatively:

Live
Love

6) The all-important choice: flowers or candy?

Flowers! Specifically, peonies. I'm obsessed with them, I tell you. Obsessed.



Thank you so much for taking the time to do this Veronica! Isn't she the cutest? I can't wait for the last book in the series, INTO THE STILL BLUE, to come out early in 2014!! 


13 comments:

  1. I have GOT to get my hands on these books. Like now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do--they are SO SO good!! Some of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. Veronica! You look a bit like Marisa Tomei in that photo - Love her!
    Fabulous books! Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview, and your Brach's Hearts are perfect! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! And who doesn't love writing kissing scenes? am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Phil...Kissing scenes are delicious (to read AND to write!)

    Great interview. Thanks for swinging by, Veronica!! And congrats on your deserved success!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for having me, Valentines! Looking forward to reading you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again so much V! I appreciate it SO much!! XOXO

      Delete
  7. Veronica,

    You ARE gorgeous and talented! :)

    Thanks a million for hanging out with us! Love your Brach's hearts...and love your books too. I can't wait for INTO THE STILL BLUE! Come on 2014!

    Congrats on all your success! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by, Veronica! I'm a huge fan (and not just because we're agency sisters). Can't wait to read INTO THE STILL BLUE and find out if Aria and Perry get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your books even more knowing that you love Lyla and Katsa! Those are some of my favorite characters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, Veronica, you sound so lovely. So honored that you swung by our little "clubhouse"!!

    Your writing is fabulous! I'm so excited for INTO THE STILL BLUE!

    ReplyDelete